Monday, September 15, 2014

Rebel Belle


Rebel Belle

by Rachel Hawkins

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.


It took me two tries to read this one. Thankfully, I gave it a second try. Although, I still thought about giving up on it once or twice even in the second time through. Why you ask? Two words. Harper Price.

She was nearly insufferable at times. She is that person that you think, that person can't possibly exist in real life. That slightly vain fashionista, sugary, popular, and the head of everything. There is nothing wrong with these types of people really, but it came on so fakey and stereotypical and the sugary-ness was stifling and sickening.

The other half to this was that eventually all that dropped. I get that she develops and grows and her life changes and all that, but the basis of her personality wouldn't change, but it did in the book. The change didn't make sense so it bothered me. I mean I get it, she is more than the vain prissy chick everyone else sees, but parts of what was originally portrayed and was so obnoxious were parts of who she really was.

However, Harper was pretty much the only thing that really bothered me. The plot was cool and had interesting twists. The action was absolutely epic and oh so fun. The writing was well rounded, and all of this made for a thoroughly entertaining read.

Another minor qualm that I just remembered was that at least once it was very predictable. We all knew how the romantic part of the book was going to go down.

David had to be my favorite part of the book. He was great! Realistic, quirky, and funny, Although, I didn't really like Harper the way she was for the first part of the book, I have to admit that the characters were pretty well developed and well rounded, and they were very vibrant with strong personalities.

Last Thoughts:  It was a blast after I got past Harper. Wild, unique, and totally epic, the entire concept was great. The plot kept readers on your toes and the characters had well written and formed bonds with each other and have bright personalities. I give it four stars out of five, and I'd recommend it for a fun read anytime.

Goodreads and Liberty Bay Books.


General Gif. Consensus: 


P.S. Thank you, thank you, thank you Catherine for the book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment