Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Book that Broke Briana


Ensnared (aka the book that broke Briana)

by A.G. Howard

Expected Publication Date: January 6th 2015
Version: Paper Back ARC

Disclaimer: I am trying to keep this general, but I wouldn't recommend reading this review at all if you haven't read at least the first book, Splintered. There are some details that may hint at certain outcomes or spoilers. Spoilers or large hints to spoilers are "gray-ed" out and you can highlight them to read at your own risk!

Request: If you do highlight and read the spoilers please do not discuss specifics in the comments or elsewhere because that would spoil it to those that chose not to read the spoilers, and wait for the book.

After surviving a disastrous battle at prom, Alyssa has embraced her madness and gained perspective. She's determined to rescue her two worlds and the people and netherlings she loves. Even if it means challenging Queen Red to a final battle of wills and wiles . . . and even if the only way to Wonderland, now that the rabbit hole is closed, is through the looking-glass world--a parallel dimension filled with mutated and violent netherling outcasts. In the final installment of the wildly popular Splintered trilogy, Alyssa and her dad journey into the heart of magic and mayhem in search of her mom and to set right all that's gone wrong. Together with Jeb and Morpheus, they must salvage Wonderland from the decay and destruction that has ensnared it. But if they succeed and come out alive, can everyone truly have their happily ever after?

First off, I want to squeal and give a HUGE shout out to Liberty Bay Books for the ARC. (I died a little inside when I found it.) Also, A.G. Howard TWEETED ME BACK! It was so cool to have an author actually respond to tweets about their book! (I don't dislike it when authors do not do this because that is asking a lot, but I just thought it was cool that she took the time to reply to every single one!)

Let's kick it off with the one issue I had. The romance. You may remember from my review of Unhinged that I became hardcore team Morpheus during that book. So naturally I was rooting for him, but I did like Jeb for a while, so I didn't really feel like there was anyway I could be too horribly disappointed by the outcome of the triangle. I was mistaken. I hated how the triangle was resolved.(SPOILER) A choice never really had to be made, and personally I found the resolution a little weak and lack luster. I can't say more without spoiling it. Go read it then come back and we can discuss it.

(SPOILER) Also, everyone had such a happy ending. Everything was just wrapped up in a little bow with no loose ends and that kind of frustrated me. Life doesn't happen like that so why do stories?

However, Ensnared maintained all the other things I loved from Splintered, and Unhinged. The characters were still their brilliant selves (well mostly *wink wink*), however I wished there had been a little bit more development evident as it was happening. Characters changed, and it was obvious at the end, and it was explicitly showed in a few moments along the way. I was impressed by the amount of character development that it had though.

The plot was still cool and on point. It kept me wanting more, although I may have liked the plot of the others, a smidge better.

Again, the writing and voice were super fun and really worked well with everything else.

Last Thoughts: Despite a few minor qualms, I devoured this book and it devoured me. It was super fun and I was entertained through every second of it. The concept of the entire series is stellar. Howard crafts a unique series like no other, with an ultimately satisfying ending. I have to give it four to four and one half stars out of five because the few problems I had with it were too large to ignore.

Goodreads and Liberty Bay Books!



General Gif Consensus: 


No comments:

Post a Comment