Monday, September 1, 2014

The Iron Trial



The Iron Trial

by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

---
Expected Publication Date: September 9th, 2014
Received From: Liberty Bay Books
---
From two bestselling superstars, a dazzling and magical middle-grade collaboration centering on the students of the Magisterium, an academy for those with a propensity toward magic. In this first book, a new student comes to the Magisterium against his will -- is it because he is destined to be a powerful magician, or is the truth more twisted than that? It's a journey that will thrill you, surprise you, and make you wonder about the clear-cut distinction usually made between good and evil.
---
The issues I had with it:
-Call. Ugh, ok I get it his name is Callum and the nickname version is Call (Pronounced Cal), but it is spelled like the word CALL ( like you do on the phone). I don't mind the nickname, but it kept really messing me up when I was reading! They could have just written it as Cal and eliminated that entire issue!

Why I loved it to pieces:
- The world building. It was flawless. Impressive and absolutely stunning. 
- The plot. It was perfectly paced, and I didn't see the ending coming, I had different suspicions but the out come that happened was not the one I was predicting. 
-The voice of the writing and the writing itself. The basic mechanics of the writing wasn't anything special, but it was still really well done. The thing I was most impressed with is the fact that it was written by two different people with different voices, but you couldn't tell from reading it. It was just one seamless voice.
- The Humor. I actually almost laughed out loud a few times. ( I never laugh out loud so that's saying a lot.) 
-The concept. It was totally original and a blast. The world building really made it and helped flesh it out. 
-The characters. They were fun and realistic. 
Last Thoughts: As you can tell, the pros HIGHLY outweighed the one small con. It was a great book for all ages, middle grade and up. It was highly entertaining and had a great plot. It was fab-u-lous! I give it five our of five stars and recommend it to any fantasy lover. 



Gif. Consensus: 






No comments:

Post a Comment