Saturday, January 4, 2014

Stacking The Shelves

I know what you are thing, I am equally astounded that I actually a) got new books and b) am posting a stacking the shelves on time. (I may be slightly proud of myself. Though I don't quite have enough hubris to pat myself on the back, I did however smirk proudly to myself while writing this) I actually got quite a few books this week so I am really excited to share! Thank you Liberty Bay Books for the haul!


                                                Kindness for Weakness
A fifteen-year-old boy from an abusive home desperately seeking his older brother's love and approval starts pushing drugs for him and suffers the consequences.

I have seriously considered becoming a social worker and have always been interested in social and domestic issues, so naturally this concept struck me as well as the title and the boy's vulnerable pose on the cover. Heart strings will be tugged at I am sure. I can't wait to read it and I hope it is everything I want it to be!

Add it on Goodreads and buy it through Liberty Bay Books by selecting the hyper-linked title!




Pulse

The year is 2051, and the world is still recognizable. With the help of her mysterious classmate Dylan Gilmore, Faith Daniels discovers that she can move objects with her mind. This telekinetic ability is called a “pulse,” and Dylan has the talent, too.

In riveting action scenes, Faith demonstrates her ability to use her pulse against a group of telekinesis masters so powerful they will flatten their enemies by uprooting street lights, moving boulders, and changing the course of a hurtling hammer so that it becomes a deadly weapon. But even with great talent, the mind—and the heart—can be difficult to control. If Faith wants to join forces with Dylan and save the world, she’ll have to harness the power of both.


I picked this one for many reasons: a) it sounds like it has the capacity to be really epic and intense! (Who doesn't love epic and intense?) b) it had a sticky note in it from a fellow blogger and affiliate that was filled with good things to say about it. c) I vaguely remembered seeing it in a library or something and wanting to read it a while back. 

Add it on Goodreads and buy it through LBB by clicking the title above!


                                                Expiration Day
What happens when you turn eighteen and there are no more tomorrows?
It is the year 2049, and humanity is on the brink of extinction….

Tania Deeley has always been told that she’s a rarity: a human child in a world where most children are sophisticated androids manufactured by Oxted Corporation. When a decline in global fertility ensued, it was the creation of these near-perfect human copies called teknoids that helped to prevent the utter collapse of society.

Though she has always been aware of the existence of teknoids, it is not until her first day at The Lady Maud High School for Girls that Tania realizes that her best friend, Siân, may be one. Returning home from the summer holiday, she is shocked by how much Siân has changed. Is it possible that these changes were engineered by Oxted? And if Siân could be a teknoid, how many others in Tania’s life are not real?

Driven by the need to understand what sets teknoids apart from their human counterparts, Tania begins to seek answers. But time is running out. For everyone knows that on their eighteenth “birthdays,” teknoids must be returned to Oxted—never to be heard from again.

Ok, so, this one I am a little hesitant about. It sounds rather weird. However, it also sounds like it could be really good. (Can't you just smell the potential through your screen?) So...I guess we shall see. Yay for stepping outside your comfort zone! (It really doesn't feel like a yay at the time. This better be good.) 

Add it on Goodreads and buy it through LBB by clicking the purple title above!

Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy

Marina is born of privilege. Her mother, Sveta, is the Soviet Union's prima ballerina: an international star handpicked by the regime. But Sveta is afflicted with a mysterious second sight and becomes obsessed with exposing a horrific state secret. Then she disappears. 
 
Fearing for their lives, Marina and her father defect to Brooklyn. Marina struggles to reestablish herself as a dancer at Juilliard. But her enigmatic partner, Sergei, makes concentration almost impossible, as does the fact that Marina shares her mother's “gift,” and has a vision of her father’s murder at the hands of the Russian crooks and con artists she thought they'd left behind.  
 
Now Marina must navigate the web of intrigue surrounding her mother's disappearance, her ability, and exactly whom she can—and can't—trust.


Speaking of stepping out side my comfort zone and being hesitant... 
I honestly haven't read this or even considered it because I take one look at the cover and the title and think "Could this possibly be anymore stupid? This sounds terrible." Reading the synopsis didn't exactly change that and quite honestly I have no clue as to why I decided to read it. But I guess I did so, yet again we shall see. I am trying to keep an open mind...

Add it on Goodreads and buy it through LBB by clicking the title above!

                                                           Hunted
Terror stalks a small Virginia town.

FBI rising star, criminal profiler Evelyn Baine, knows how to think like a serial killer. But she's never chased anyone like the Bakersville Burier, who hunts young women and displays them, half-buried, deep in the woods. As the body count climbs, Evelyn's relentless pursuit of the killer puts her career - and her life - at risk. And the evil lurking in the Burier's mind may be more than even she can unravel.

Terror is closer than she thinks.

The Bakersville Burier knows he's got an FBI profiler on his trail. He knows who she is and where to find her. And he's biding his time, because he's planned a special punishment for Evelyn. She may have tracked other killers, but he vows to make this her last chase. This time it's her turn to be hunted!


If you haven't already figured this out about me I am fascinated by all things twisted, disturbed, and/or psycho, (if that makes me just a little twisted, disturbed, and/or psycho I am totally ok with that!) and I love law enforcement and detective type stuff. This book promises all my favorite things! Plus, a whole lot of chills and thrills and who doesn't love a little of that!

Add it to Goodreads and buy it through LBB by clicking the purple title!


2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Hunted looks awesome! And freaky! Therefore...awesome! :) That's a great haul! I've been being good and not borrowing/requesting books until I've finished ALL my books on my stack. I have 3 left. It's kind of exciting! I haven't had a book stack of 0 in a year. Buuut, I'm just going to fill it all up again, I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am so excited to start Hunted! Thank you! I tried that and I did good until I had one left that I had started but I just really don't like it so I fudged and got a new stack to avoid having to read more of it. x) I felt kinda bad but at the same time not really. I used to never have enough books and now I have so many books I can barely keep up 24/7! I wish you luck! ;)

      Delete