Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Coldest Girl in Cold Town



The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

by Holly Black

Coming: September 3, 2013

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

I'm sorry for my absence this past week but I was away communing with nature, exploring the great out doors, being a living sacrifice for  mosquitoes, whatever you want to call it. Anyways, I read the whole time so plenty of reviews are coming your way this week! And now, I give you, my review of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black!

This book was really something else. I have Suzanne to thank and blame for this read. That completely amazing day that I went in to propose teaming up with Liberty Bay, she handed me this book and said it was a must read and just wonderful. So naturally I took it. I wasn't about to turn down a good book. I then read the synopsis in the car on the way home and thought, "oh goodness, gracious, holy-cow-batman. What is this?! What have I gotten myself into?! What is this even about?! Ugh!" So naturally what do I do? I begin reading it, kicking myself as I flip through the title pages and all that junk at the beginning, thinking the same thoughts over and over and over. Just a short bit in it hits me that this is a Vampire book. Vampires. As most of you are already aware I. Don't. Do. Vampires. Ever. For any reason. I firmly believe there is no such thing as a "good" or even "ok" Vampire book. But for some reason I still continued reading. I am very glad I did. This book might have just brought me over the the darkside where the vamps are romantic, deadly, infectious and most certainly not sparkly. It was a take on vampires that was very refreshing and the plot was well paced and masterfully spun. The writing wasn't overly fluffy and technical but was gloriously descriptive when it counted. The characters were vivid and the romance factor was heart-meltingly sweet. However it was a little random, on and off and just a little all over the place. However, sweet none the less. Tana and her friends and family were surprisingly easy to connect with and relatable despite the strange, paranormal, and seemingly unrelatable situation they are in and are well described. The character development was subtle but realistic and handled well. Over all this is a great book. I loved it and give it 5 out of 5 stars. Click the book cover's caption "The Coldest Girl in Coldtown" to buy it through Liberty Bay Books and click here to add it to Goodreads. 




Briana

No comments:

Post a Comment