Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

by Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was a step outside of my comfort zone a little bit for me being that it is not the normal fantasy, paranormal, ect. with magic and make believe creatures that I normally read. The synopsis is not impressive in fact the synopsis almost made me not want to read it because it sounded boring and pretty generic and the first chapter left me skeptical and made me want to read the rest of the book even less than the synopsis did! But man was I glad I pushed through and read past the first chapter because once I did I couldn't put it down. Michelle's writing (in this book at least) is simplistic and not really jam-packed with style and technique but has just the right amount to make her writing interesting like many of the authors and books I have read recently. It works perfectly for her, her simplistic approach to writing lets the story come out and tell itself in beautiful detail, thrilling twists and shocking endings. So I can quit talking about all the technical stuff let me just say Michelle gets an A+ on everything: plot, style and technique ect. Now to get to the characters and other fun stuff. I loved Mara from the very beginning because she is just the kind of person that people can relate to and is just the kind of person that I typically hang out with. Mara Dyer is the "normal" girl that can't stand the "popular" people that act like snobs, is just a little on the shy side at times and has no problem putting someone in their place when they get just a little too far out of line with a well said comment.  Mara develops so much over the course of the book although I feel that at the very end she kind of falls back to be worse than she was in the beginning which left me shocked and pretty annoyed. You will be wondering right along with her, debating back and forth the whole book through the end is she crazy, is she just PTSD, is she not? Noah. Every one comments that they really did not like him and that he was awful but to me after a short time he really was a pretty good person and when you really think about it him and his personality are very important to the story. I love this book and can't wait for the next book. The killer ending is one you will never expect. This is a must read.  4 1/2 out of 5 stars. :)

Briana

No comments:

Post a Comment