Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Now That You're Here


Now That You're Here

by Amy K. Nichols

Expected Publication Date: December 9th, 2014
Form: Physical ARC

In a parallel universe, the classic bad boy falls for the class science geek.

One minute Danny was running from the cops, and the next, he jolted awake in an unfamiliar body--his own, but different. Somehow, he's crossed into a parallel universe. Now his friends are his enemies, his parents are long dead, and studious Eevee is not the mysterious femme fatale he once kissed back home. Then again, this Eevee--a girl who'd rather land an internship at NASA than a date to the prom--may be his only hope of getting home.

Eevee tells herself she's only helping him in the name of quantum physics, but there's something undeniably fascinating about this boy from another dimension . . . a boy who makes her question who she is, and who she might be in another place and time.

I am not hugely into sci-fi, but this one was great and sure to please both sci-fi followers, and romance lovers alike. It bridges the to genre's beautifully. There were a few times there was a bit too much math and science that was quite a bit over my head, but thankfully I didn't need to have a firm grasp on every math and science-y thing in the book, and when I did, it was broken down enough that even I could follow it. 

The concept with parallel universes was super cool, and something I hadn't really read before. Nichols did an amazing job and really embraced to concept. I felt like the sci-fi spin really took the romance to the next level as well. As I said above, the two elements were blended seamlessly.

The plot was done pretty darn well, it was a little slow at moments, but never painfully so. Sadly the ending didn't quite live up to my hopes and I felt like a lot happened kind of all of the sudden in the last little section. However, it kept me on my toes, and made me hunger for more, so in my opinion, mission accomplished. 

The writing was good, but honestly, I was so into the story, I didn't look too closely at it. 

I loved all of the characters they were so different. The parent situation, was strange, and her parents were even stranger, but I kind of loved the strangeness of it. Parallel universe Danny, Eevee and their friends were pretty quirky, but oh so sweet. Danny melted my heart, and honestly I didn't see him as a classic bad boy at all. Eevee was someone I could relate too, even though we are like two different halves of a brain. She was just as sweet as Danny, a bit quiet and awkward at times, but above all, a typical teenage geek. Her relationship with her parents was prominent and they were very involved, despite the highly atypical parental situation. (You'll see what I mean by that, when you read the book. ;)) 

Last Thought: This book swept me off my feet. It was intense, interesting, mysterious, and utterly sweet. Like nothing I've ever read, Now That You're Here took my by surprise, and left my dying to read the next book. I give it a strong four and one half stars out of five, and recommend it to lovers or sci-fi, romance, and anything inbetween. This is one read you won't regret.

Goodreads and Liberty Bay Books!


General Gif. Consensus: 



No comments:

Post a Comment